Exceptional product design? What is good design?
Products like Kitchen Aid, Lego, Weber Grill or games like Monopoly that have been around for a long time. These products are good design that have been bought and enjoyed for generations.
It had long struck me that people who had achieved something rarely sat back and let things happen to them. They went out and things happened.
Leonardo da Vinci
Vespa is an all time classic. After World War II, Enrico Piaggio came up with the idea of making a two-wheeled, inexpensive vehicle that would be reliable for Italians who needed to get around. Enrico hired an engineer who actually had the dream of building helicopters. The first vehicle was made from aircraft spare parts. The rest is history and Vespa is known worldwide to this day.
The list continues with products such as:
- Ballpoint pen first sold by László Jozsef Bíró in 1938. The first patent is from American Loud in 1888. It’s one of the most innovative and best-selling products in history.
- Hula Hoop was born in the 1950s. It was one of the simplest but most popular toys ever designed. It is estimated that over 25 million were sold in the first four months alone.
- Post-it notes came about by chance when Spencer Silver was trying to make a high-strength aircraft adhesive in 1968. The Post-it Note, introduced in 1980, became one of the 3M company’s most successful products.
- The Coca-Cola bottle is one of the most popular and well-known shapes in the world. Even VW compares the new Beatle with the bottle.
- The VW Beetle, also known as the “Volksauto”, was introduced in Germany in the 1930s as a cheap, simple car that is to be mass-produced for the country’s new road network (autobahn). It was produced as a civilian car as of 1940. Decades later, it is still one of VW’s most iconic cars to this day.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Leonardo da Vinci
Finding beauty in simplicity is the way to exceptional product design. The key to making a complex device is to make it appear simple. Create simple and permanent solutions. The goal is to create a product, no matter how complex, that has a distinctive shape with a pleasant and simple user experience for generations to come. Let Global Trade Specialists help you in manufacturing your product.